Friday, June 11, 2004

Flowers of Evil

Basic Hip Digital Oddio is a consistently fine website to check for unique sound recordings, but this week's downloadable album, Flowers of Evil by Ruth White, is one of the ... no, absolutely the eeriest thing I've ever heard. English translations of Charles Baudelaire's poems set to primitive electronic music/noise. I haven't been able to get much farther than "The Litanies of Satan," which I downloaded first. It's a truly frightening piece, and I had to turn it off halfway through because I felt evil spirits being conjured in the corners of the room (and I wasn't even stoned at the time). Check out the upcoming list for future offerings, it's usually interesting and always obscure. Almost on a par with bubblegum machine, the current reigning favorite mp3 website in my small, limited universe.

No comments: