Wednesday, June 20, 2007



Legendary Michigan punk band Violent Apathy reunites -- Lansing State Journal, June 17 2007

I really wish this article was a little more dynamic and had fewer name-dropping shenanigans (I suppose you need to mention Rollins, Danzig and Nirvana to prove to the clueless that Violent Apathy mattered), but it's still cool to see Capital City rock veteran Ken Knott celebrated in as square a forum as this. And why no mention of the vinyl records they put out back in the day, that now go for big bucks when and if some lucky collector comes across one? Focusing on their cassette-only releases and saying that Kenny started the Students for Progressive Action organization simply because "shows were hard to come by" makes them sound like small-town losers. In many respects they were, but their goals and achievements were certainly greater than the average bonehead frat party cover band most universities spit out by the thousands. Anyhow, congrats to Ken for reuniting his balding, paunchy first-wave hardcore compatriats for these shows, and if you're in the Michigan area, check it out ... no matter how out of practice they are, Ken Knott always puts on a memorable show.

PS. I just reread that article and got even more annoyed. I'm pretty sure Dave Grohl considered watching Violent Apathy to be a "formative" experience, not "formidible." Also, the article first announces that the Lansing VA show is on June 24th, but at the end it's listed as June 25th. I know deadlines for dailies must be tight, but come on ... and I gotta say it again, do we really need 68 words on Henry Rollins? I think I know the writer of this article, too, if I remember correctly he wrote for Etch Magazine back in the 90s and gave my former band the Clutters our one and only rave review, so these criticisms hurt me all the more. But these things matter, dammit ...

PPS. This VA piece in Lansing City Pulse is only marginally better. So hardcore punk has suddenly undergone an "unprecedented degree of commercial success?" What is he talking about? It makes me wish I could move out of Lansing again.

No comments: