Wednesday, April 28, 2004

SIFF press screenings started yesterday, and I've got dozens of films ahead of me in the next several weeks. I get uncomfortable with swag, I always feel like I'm stealing when I get on a guest list, but yesterday my nerves were salved by the man next to me, who introduced himself as the film critic from "SGN." By god, if Seattle Gay News can earn a free pass to every movie at SIFF, then Resonance belongs for sure.

First up was Saved! A big joke at the expense of Christian teens ... poor kids. I get my hackles up whenever filmmakers make sport of easy targets, and for certain audiences, all you have to do is make a Christian appear foolish and you got yerself an effortless laugh. That's how the thing began, but eventually the characters began questioning their faith without rejecting the idea of religion altogether, and the film moved into a smarter, more human sphere. A simplistic sit-com ending ruined any good will I had brewing, and when the characters erected a giant Jesus statue in the first scene, I should have known it would come toppling down as a climax (cheap symbolism). Mandy Moore was funny, though, and the girl from Ginger Snaps always drives me wild.

After that I was blessed with Godsend, one of the worst big-budget movies I've ever seen. Went nowhere, made no sense, more cheap symbolism (Robert DeNiro smashes Greg Kinnear with a crucifix, then storms out of a church as a fire blazes behind him). The room was filled with inappropriate laughter, muffled at first, but growing stronger as the film progressed and we all started realizing there was no other reaction possible. And that kid! There's one "intense" scene with Kinnear and the kid ... "I see things, Daddy!" "What do you see? What do you see?" I guarantee that four out of five audiences will have one wag who shouts out, "Dead people!"

The free t-shirt did nothing to sway me ... maybe if they had sprung for some graphics or thicker material. Keep that in mind, Hollywood. A red tee with your website address is not going to get a lot of wear.

No comments: