Thursday, July 29, 2004

CNN.com - 'The Blob' director, 'Shorty' Yeaworth,�dead at 78 - Jul 29, 2004

At midnight tonight, I do a phone interview with the director Lech Kowalski, known for punk documentaries like D.O.A.: A Right of Passage and Hey, Is Dee Dee Home? But there's more ... he's been working on a trilogy of films called "My Wild Wild East," and the first two installments are great. The Boot Factory is about Polish anarchist punks who turn their squat into a successful hand-made boot factory, and On Hitler's Highway covers the people who live and work along a road that was built by Nazis during WWII.

Kowalski lives in Paris, so this will be my first ever intercontinental phone call (well, technically I did that this afternoon ... I looked up the number for a hotel in Paris and called just to make sure the phone card worked). Pretty heady stuff for someone who is nearly pathological about answering a ringing phone ... fuck, you never know who it could be, why open yourself up to potential misery and embarrassment? Anyhow, the only time I could talk to him was 9:00am Paris time, which with the time difference makes it midnight here. I'm treasuring the chance to drink coffee after six, but I'll be hurting tomorrow for sure.

I have just discovered Judee Sill. If you hate the whole singer/songwriter archetype, then don't bother to check this out.

No comments: