Monday, January 05, 2009

I suppose he's no longer a celebrity in the truest sense of the word, so it isn't surprising that it took me three weeks to learn this, but the man who wrote the Count Five's classic hit "Psychotic Reaction" is dead.

John Byrne Dead at 61.

It's a shameless rewrite of the Yardbirds' version of "I'm A Man," but "Psychotic Reaction" has been one of my favorite songs since childhood. An absolutely timeless, tuneless rave up ... plus the Count Five provided grist for one of Lester Bangs' greatest pieces, the title essay in his Psychotic Reactions and Carburetor Dung collection, in which he fantasizes the long, culturally significant career the band may have had if they didn't break up after their big hit to go to college.

1 comment:

Uncle Jesse said...

oh, man. i love psychotic reaction! it's one of my all time faves, too. plus, the cover photo on that album is brilliant.