Wednesday, April 13, 2005

In honor of Soren Davis' 40th birthday ...

"Haircut Stomp" by the Family Haircut



MP3 File

There's no better compliment you can pay a friend than to steal an MP3 right off his website and post it on your own, and this is what I have done. To be honest, it's not the first time I've done it. I hit a really rough patch in my life last fall and most of my blog posts during that time were plagiarized directly from Soren's archives. No one noticed, or at least everyone had the grace not to call me on it.

But this is a great fucking song from a godammn good band that never put out anything while they walked the earth of Chicago back around the turn of the century. Most no one ever heard of the Family Haircut, and until Soren becomes the basis for some arcane musicology thesis 100 years from now, the band might remain mere memory, so here's the best number to suggest their charms. One chord, one idea, one more crazed Soren Davis performance. And that wah-wah solo, it's perfect. The stage is coated in beer from the very first stomp of Soren's foot, he hollers something about his train transfer for a while, a call and response mysteriously begins ... quite a fucking workout.

Anyhow, it's Soren's birthday, so drink a 40 to his memory. Uh, I mean honor. What's the one for when you're not dead?

No comments: